The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday January 5, 2018 at 22:12
mrtristan
Select Member
October 2003
My customer currently has three pairs of great rm/kitchen/dining in ceiling speakers running on a Sonos Connect amp and external Sherbourn amp (I think 75W/ch with speaker to line level adaptor) The paradigm speakers are quite small. Don't know the model right now but I think they are based on 5 inch drivers. There is a PSB SubSeries 200 Subwoofer complimenting the system. He says the system didn't play quite loud enough at his Christmas party and wants to upgrade. Last I heard is sounded pretty loud and clear but I have a feeling alcohol and screaming people muffles the sound a bit.

I suggested bigger speakers, Sonos Connect and a high current amp - one of those class D Crown amps for example. I like that you can filter the bass out on the channels and can drive 2 ohms comfortably.

Then I realized that amp doesn't have auto turn on. Ideally I want a decent amp with filtering and auto turn on. What would you recommend?

And what do you recommend for in-ceiling speakers that sound decent but are very efficient at the same time. My first thought was Klipsch. This is usually a character of Klipsch speakers but I've found they are not necessarily louder than others.

Last is there any way to force a Sonos connect or Connect amp to filter out the bass on it's output? I assume it would do this when a Sonos sub is added to the zone. Does it not? This would rule out the requirement for a filter built into an amp. Maybe I could just find a low cost high pass filter or add a DBX piece.

To be honest it worries me when a customer expects their background music system to sound like a disco while keeping it all neat an invisible. I don't think they realize the cost of adding equipment for volume and speaker management.

Just thought I'd see what cost effective solution you guys would use to make a room satisfyingly loud for those young customers who crave that sort of thing.

Hosting Services by ipHouse