The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday January 1, 2018 at 18:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 30, 2017 at 06:08, crosen said...
I really don't want to touch this. The only way I could justify the risk of dealing with $20K of fragile gear in a relatively complex installation would be to quote so much in labor that I fear losing the trust of the client.

You know, the last couple of posts made me go back and look at your starting point again. jgordon has made me think differently about this.

When we run into something that has some risk of failure, why are we willing to accept the same risk of failure with no chance of things being any different, simply if someone throws some money at us? Does money somehow make us more bold? In this case, will $2000 profit make us throw away our fear that A LOT more money might be lost if things get screwed up?

I think maybe getting that money is so attractive that we are indeed emboldened, but we're not emboldened to be stupid! We're emboldened by the added money to insist to the client that things can happen; that extra expense will be incurred to totally ensure that the TVs are not damaged... in short, making more money on something makes us more willing to be the hardass that's necessary to control the situation properly.

Suddenly I think you should source the displays yourself, be damn careful about how you do everything, and make the client pay for it. I have a story (long, of course) about losing some money on part of a job by not being that hardass. Do it. Be it. If you're considering doing the job AT ALL, you are already convinced that you can do it right!

If I could add to my signature now, I'd add this: There's no point in having firmly held opinions and beliefs if new information won't change them.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse