The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday December 30, 2017 at 20:28
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On December 30, 2017 at 06:08, crosen said...
On a current (relatively small - approx $20k) project, the client would like me to quote the addition of two displays. The displays retail for $10K each, are an unusual form factor (7' x 2.5'), are not available to me at discounted pricing, and would be installed in a custom structure designed by the architect and built by the GC with assistance from me.

I really don't want to touch this. The only way I could justify the risk of dealing with $20K of fragile gear in a relatively complex installation would be to quote so much in labor that I fear losing the trust of the client.

On the other hand, the client is excited about incorporating these displays in the project, and I don't want to shun the idea if I don't have to.

How would you handle this?

Time & Materials.

Have your client procure the displays...100% of the process...ordering paying picking up delivery receiving testing whatever.

These are the clients displays. They are going into the builders enclosure that the architect designed. Think of this like an electrician installing a dimmer that you sold. The electricians part is to wire it up...screw it in and make sure it works. If the dimmer is dead the electrician hands it back to you and says order me a new one.

Your part in this project is to wire up the displays that the builder is installing. You are then going to make sure it turns on/works. If it doesnt work the builder and the client can get it replaced. If it does work you are done. When it needs to be serviced its their problem.

Any time you spend on this is billable including any troubleshooting and even standing around while the builder does his thing.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse