Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 55 made on Wednesday December 27, 2017 at 17:24
Dean Roddey
May 2004
In the end, there isn't likely to be 'a' solution, I don't think. There will be various partial solutions that add up more and more over time. Things like solar move production closer to consumption, which is a huge gain that isn't being discussed here that I noticed. If you generate a lot of your own power locally, and lots of people do that, then the peak requirement needs of the big plants goes down substantially which is a huge win. If more people have batteries to use across peak need periods, it goes down even more. If more people drive hybrids that they can fuel a lot of the time using their own locally generated power, lots of things change for the better. Combining solar and wind tends to provide more non-overlapping power generation, i.e. more wind in the morning and evening as the temperature changes but the sun isn't full on. Using in ground systems to reduce the amount of heating and cooling required reduces the requirements of most of the above.

It all will add up more and more over time as we refine these technologies and large scale power generation and distribution will be less necessary for residential needs in a lot of areas of the world. Large industry might still need it, but that's still a huge reduction overall in a lot of bad bits.

Of course, maybe, possibly, maybe at some point here fusion energy will finally pop and a lot of this could become a moot point. The weird thing about it though will be that, unless solar tech has come a LONG way by then, the sudden plunge in power costs could again render it non-viable commercially.
Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse