The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Monday December 25, 2017 at 01:00
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
On December 23, 2017 at 22:29, Hi-FiGuy said...
And where are we going to put all these panels?
The solar farms we have now are hideous and cover a massive amount of land for very little return, not to mention the plant and animal wild life they are killing.

Look I am all for electric power but it makes absolutely no sense to cover our planet with solar panels, its a bad move.
To power our current massively overloaded infrastructure with solar power, every single surface of land and structures would have to be solar panels and we would still fall short to run the industrial world.

It will always have its limitations due to nature and night time.

My opinion is it will always be an assist, not a total solution.

Do you have data to back that up or are you pulling this out of your a$$?
Last thing that I saw stated that the area roughly the size of Nevada would provide all solar power we'd need.

I have the largest solar array in my town. It's taking an area of just under 1,000 SqFt.
That meets 80-120% (depending on time of year) of my large power needs. That's roughly 1/8th of my total roof area on main house, not counting support buildings.
I live on 1Ac, which is ~44,000SqFt.
So my total power needs are met with ~2.5% of my property's total area.
My neighbors' power needs with same lot area are much, much smaller -- meaning their solar array size would be much smaller -- about 1-1.5% of their lot.

We could totally meet the needs of the whole world with solar panels -- albeit it would take global effort and global power distribution.
At any given time 1/3 of earth is in 'peak' sun producing (sun facing) rotation.

Hosting Services by ipHouse