The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Monday December 18, 2017 at 22:43
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On December 18, 2017 at 15:29, bclxj said...
Mac, what is the advantage of using CCP to program? Why not just release more DIY programming remotes? I'm assuming there are some powerful advantages inherent in using CCP to makeup for the headaches it causes with not being able to sell to consumers etc.

When you say more DIY remotes what do you mean? Programming via PC software is the only way to do it in my opinion. I won't even touch remotes that force you to punch in buttons to program them. Even Harmony has software for programming.

There are no headaches. It's just a different business model. Of course McDonalds could sell $20 steaks but that isn't the market they are after. If a burger patty spoils they dont care because it probably costs them 10 cents. If a $20 steak spoils it costs them more than 10 cents. The mcdonalds business model targets cheap fast food.

URC's professional product business model targets Custom Installers...who will take it out of the shipping box and handle everything else. I don't know why this is their business model. Maybe because 20+ years ago there was barely a consumer market for $500-5000 remotes so they relied on Custom Installers to sell them. I am sure they would love to put their stuff on Amazon and have people order packages with prime shipping and figure it all out on their own. The problem right now though is that if they flipped a switch and listed all their hardware for sale on amazon and gave away the software to everyone...their phone would start to ring...and ring...and ring...and never stop ringing from the thousands of calls like...

End User: This remote is junk and doesnt work
URC Tech: Did you turn your computer on sir?
End User: No.
URC Tech: Thats probably why you cant see the software on your screen,
End User: Whats a screen?
URC Tech: Please hold sir....(gives boss middle finger, runs out of the office and keeps running until the soles of his shoes have worn through.

Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse