The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Monday December 18, 2017 at 09:39
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On December 18, 2017 at 09:31, FP Crazy said...
I always assumed that the woofer drivers in standard ceiling speakers are "infinite baffle" Q specification? Meaning they typically sound better in a large enclosure (like an attic). Not spec'd for some small sealed enclosure?

I would also assume that on most general ceiling speakers, the mfg has no idea what the specs and enclosure Q for the drivers in their ceiling speakers? Unless you mean a small percentage of mfgs that have a pedigree in higher end speakers (Triad, M.A., MartinLogan, etc...)

They spec the driver to some basic numbers, but I would think the companies that have actual engineers would know how they work best. They might not want to tell us because that takes some control away from them (by us making an enclosure that might not be optimal and therefore, not performing as usual) but that's really what they get for not making this info known.

Q can be designed in, to work for any configuration- if someone (let's use Triad as an example) sells in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that have an enclosure, it's highly unlikely that the drivers will work without an enclosure. Triad uses a lot of Peerless/Tymphany woofers and they need the enclosure.

If the manufacturer won't give up the T-S parameters, you can buy a tester from Parts Express and use some kind of modeling software, like BassBox Pro or WinISD- it's not a terribly expensive part and WinISD is freeware.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse