Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday December 17, 2017 at 15:09
PeterN
July 2008
You want to run at least dual-strand OM3 or OM4 multimode fiber within a standard single-family residence. This will allow you to use IP-based 10Gb video distribution systems, and perhaps 50/100 Gb systems, once they are released. Decide for yourself whether compressing HDMI video and transmitting it over a network is preferable to point-to-point transmission ... all I will say is that compression is how it gets into the home in the first place.

Apart from the Inneos Black Jaguar, which uses a single SC-style connector, I haven't seen a new HDMI-over-fiber product that is not network-based and uses dual-LC connectors.

Some of those products are:

Extron FOX series

Savant's Video over IP line

TechLogix AV over IP line

If you can swing it, I would run quad-fiber OM4 multimode to each video endpoint. If you're traveling between buildings, look into single-mode, which is trickier to work with but does not have the distance and bandwidth limitations of multimode.

(OM3 should get you up to 100Gb at up to 100m (328ft); OM4 is rated for 100Gb at up to 150m. That sounds like a lot, but consider that uncompressed HDMI 2.1 is 48Gb. So say you're sharing sources between a residence and a guest house, you could handle a whopping two separate video streams at once.)

Hosting Services by ipHouse