The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday December 9, 2017 at 18:17
aka23
Long Time Member
February 2010
I first discovered customizable remotes ~10 years ago. I started with Harmony, then switched to URC. I came to love being able to customize remotes and home automation to my unique needs and interests. Eventually I settled on an MX-980, which was by far my favorite. I used to control almost all my home automation tech, which is listed below. I was quite happy with this setup and have been using it for years. During these years, I haven't been tracking what has changed and what new products have been released. Tech can change quite quickly, so it's likely there are new products that I may enjoy even more or may better match my setup and interests.

What remotes would you recommend I consider as an upgrade from MX-980? Or would I get little benefit from anything new and better to stick with the current setup?

Remote Features I'd like
-Fully programmable.. ideally including including macros, states/conditional, timer, and graphics, like my MX-980.  If any more complex or advanced programming features are available in other remotes, I'd likely appreciate and use them.  I'd also to be able to own and use a copy of the software.
-Option to link to Android/Smartphone
-Mostly hard buttons, rather than clicking screens
-Backlight
-Learning IF
-Some type of remote RF options, best if compatible with my existing URC setup
-Some way to control my Fire Stick
-Rectangular shape, such that I can rest it on side of recliner without falling off (I put traction tape on bottom of my MX-980, so it doesn't slip)
-Rechargable battery
-Learning from wireless Internet
-Support for new products that do not currently exist, including updates to existing IR database

Equipment That I'd Like To Control
Room 1 -- TV, DVR, Blu-ray, Lutron lighting, Fire stick (Fire stick not currently controlled by MX-980, not sure if there is a RF option?)
Room 2 -- Projector, DVR, Blu-ray, Receiver, Lutron Lighting
Room 3 -- TV, DVR, Blu-ray, Lutron Lighting

Hosting Services by ipHouse