The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Friday December 8, 2017 at 07:40
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On December 7, 2017 at 13:01, Ernie Gilman said...
All three of those things should cause an immediate big-ass loud complaint because all three of those things will be noticed when on site, miles and hours from the distributor, and will often necessitate an additional day to be spent to complete the installation.

Heated conversation. On the sales floor. Yeah. That's the words I was trying to think of.

Which also means I'll never "discover" it in the client's home.

This entire issue is why I'm so against recommendations I've heard here that before we take, say... a Denon receiver to a client's home, we should open it in the shop and take an hour to update the firmware.

This does two things: it requires that we deliver open cartons to the client's home, and it hides work hat the receiver requires, making it hard or impossible to charge for.

What if the piece has an immediate problem? Would you rather find out at your place, or at the client's home? The contractors who set up their systems at the shop to make sure everything works as programmed/designed call this 'staging' and I would suggest we do this when failures have become a problem but I would also recommend explaining that we do this to the client.

Any time spent doing setup on a piece of equipment should be billed to that job- why does it matter where the firmware was updated? It's part of the installation- why would you NOT bill for it?

Hides work? Show them where it states in the manual that the firmware should be updated. Sounds like you're afraid to charge for your work. Dealing with sellers who discount more than you and hook customers on price is a PITA, but it's OUR job to sell ourselves as better than the low price leaders.

How many cars aren't road-tested before delivery? Does that make them 'used'? No, of course not. That only applies to post-sale status.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse