The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Tuesday December 5, 2017 at 15:16
Soundsgood
Long Time Member
November 2005
On December 5, 2017 at 13:34, Audiophiliac said...
Pretty much any other trade contractors do free estimates/consults around here. Roofers, painters, landscapers, fencers, concrete guys, electricians, plumbers, you name it. If I were looking to get my roof done, and I called 12 contractors, and 11 of them offered free estimates/onsite consultation, and 1 wanted to charge me $200, I would probably pick 1 of the other 11. :)

We are not like any basic trades, they do very simple things that are easy to estimate, no design is required. If you do quick hang and bangs then maybe, but anything more than that needs a real system design. That takes time and costs money. We are basically interior designers for technology, how much do interior designers charge and do they do designs for free? Every market has guys who will run around and give “proposals” for free, that dosen’t mean that you can’t provide better to people who are willing to pay for service. Some people shop for the lowest price and others shop based on quality/value.
To answer the op’s question about how to discussing pricing, it all comes down to sales process.
Qualify them over the phone.
At first meeting explain what you offer and show them examples as well as your design documentation. Let them pick what they want, tell them the price of what they have selected and shut up. They will either agree or ask about less expensive options. When they have picked what they want sign a design agreement with a budget for the system. Collect check for design time.
Second meeting present design. They either accept and you sign the contract and collect a deposit or they request changes. Bill hourly for changes and present again in meeting three.
That’s the basics but if you want more read Ira Freidman’s book Companion Selling.

Last edited by Soundsgood on December 5, 2017 17:14.

Hosting Services by ipHouse