The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday December 3, 2017 at 10:48
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
As I see it, this job doesn't have an actual client until someone buys the house. The most that should be done is to wire the house for TVs, with conduits or smurf tube going from system locations to TV locations, and speaker wiring in different rooms.

On December 3, 2017 at 10:00, highfigh said...
Explain to the GC that you DO NOT buy equipment and wait to be paid for such a long time (you could say something like "I don't allow open accounts")

A guy I once worked for made the mistake of loaning a new TV to a client whose TV was in for repair. The client never paid, then one day wanted some work done right away... "we have an account with your company." I had to explain to the "client" that having $400 of unpaid invoices DOES NOT constitute having an 'account' with us! Structure things so you get the payment for components WELL in advance of finishing the work.

If you supply the components and have finished the work, but they haven't paid you, what leverage do you have?

and that you had already worked for your client but if they want to write your contract with language referring to scheduling, doing your part "in a workman-like manner" and specify the equipment and materials used, that might be OK but if the job gets out of hand and takes longer than proposed, you could be on the hook for a long time.

Clearly separate the purchase of product from everything else, and don't pretend to be a bank.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse