The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Friday November 24, 2017 at 15:04
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On November 24, 2017 at 09:45, highfigh said...
A lot of people have reversed the meaning of the words 'want' and 'need'- they say/believe they need something when that's far from reality.

Wants become needs in civilization. No one needed water brought into their homes. They just wanted it. Now people think they need it. We don't need roads...Humanity walked the globe before shoes were invented let alone the automobile.

Fee-based utilities like electric power, natural gas and water don't tell people how to use these and that's one difference- if someone like the PMRC (remember Tipper Gore's group that demanded labels for "objectionable content" in music?) is able to decide how people use the internet, it will be the end of its growth. Reasonable tiers for data use isn't the problem (for me), but intrusice control practices are IF they become common.

Labeling things with "GMO" or "Explicit Lyrics" is stupid and i understand it affects business by creating confusion and shouldn't be allowed but it doesn't stop me personally from buying whatever corn or CD i want. If Comcast wants to force me to click through a "yes i am 18 and want to see boobs" nag every time i went to see boobs...no big deal. Labeling music and corn and websites isn't the same thing as blocking someones access though.

Charging more for accounts that use more internet is about as American as dropping bombs in the middle east. Its pure capitalism...like Reagan Era capitalism not the oligarchy grind we find ourselves in now. How can any American be against this?

Blocking access to a service or site is the only thing that bothers me...ONLY because the ISP's have monopolies in most areas. If we actually had a choice (2 or more) this wouldn't be an issue for me either. I would just go with the company that lets me access what i want to access.

The ACA is misnamed on many levels- it's not affordable and it's not about guaranteeing health care- it's a way to make sure the insurance companies are paid for funding health care by forcing people to share the cost. The biggest problem with how insurance companies operate is due to their admin costs being higher than the payments they make. If we could all use something like an HSA (and if this practice had been used more in the past), I don't think the health insurance would have become the monster it is. Hospitals, clinics and doctors have discounted cash payments from people who were uninsured/high deductible patients for a long time, but it's easier for some to just hand over the insurance card and let someone else deal with the payment.

Affordable means something different to everyone. It's not affordable when compared to no insurance or junk insurance. It's very affordable vs coming up with $500k to deal with kidney or liver or kidney and liver failure.

The problem isn't that ACA is expensive. The problem is that it exists. Healthcare should be $100 a month per person. Who will pay for it? The guys writing checks for tanks and helicopters and caskets we ship to the middle east. Obviously that would mean we have to stop our endless wars...or at least ask the oil companies to pay their army instead of forcing tax payers to do it for them under the guise of freedom.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse