The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Saturday November 18, 2017 at 15:06
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On November 12, 2017 at 15:55, Dean Roddey said...
Voice control is really bad for various things, so it won't ever completely take over. Among the things you wouldn't use it for are:

1. Are you going to browser your movies by voice and remember which of the hundred movies that it (took an hour) to tell you are available you want to watch?

This is somewhere where I think voice can have a bit of a benefit.

Now personally I don't use any DB or anything for my films. I find they all slow down the process. MY BILL still says every time we sit for a film "I can't believe it, you have thousands of films and before I finish with the title bane you already pulled it off the shelf"

but I think voice could be a bit faster then typing a title out and there will be less issues with 3/three, exactitude of titles....

3. Any guests that come over will have no clue what to do for a voice control interface because you have to know the commands before you can invoke them. A well designed touch screen can allow someone to quickly find what they need.

for me that is one of the biggest issues. It is not as much the big things (i.e. "lights to 50%", "Turn off Great room TV") those can be dealt with (i.e. what's wrong with "light's off" if the guy does not know there is the 50% option or "Turn off TV" coming from the mic in the great room). But terminology (do you pause / freeze frame, do you rec / record / tape /DVR /PVR... and language (this spring I had my cousin and his wife from Greece, a few weeks ago I had a francophone friend that needed stayed at my place

---
there is also "I DON'T WANT ANYONE TALKING WHILE I AM WATHCING A FILM OR TV SHOW"

Hosting Services by ipHouse