Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 62 made on Friday November 17, 2017 at 14:08
Audiophiliac
August 2006
On November 17, 2017 at 12:57, SB Smarthomes said...
After taking EJs class at CEDIA, I learned that my clients fall into the top .1% of wealth ($20M+ net worth) and my approach is still Lutron lighting & shading, Sonos, URC TC for handheld remotes and simple integration with Lutron plus NEST or Lutron for HVAC, networking, surveillance, etc.

All my clients have or have had homes with Crestron, Savant, etc. and all are looking for something simpler (not necessarily less expensive) just something simpler and more reliable where the entire system isn't impacted if the control system has an issue.

My formula for Sonos in video zones is simple and has worked perfectly for years.  I just use a Niles speaker switch that's triggered using 12v from the AVR or control system.  When the TV is off, the speaker switch defaults to Sonos, when the TV is switched on, the speaker switch changes to the amp or AVR for the TV.

This required duplicate amplification (amp for Sonos & amp for video), but it's bullet-proof.  I'm just getting started with the AudioControl network matrix amps and starting to test switching between Sonos & TV audio in 2ch zones by taking digital audio out the TV and Sonos and then using IP control of the amp to switch inputs and set volume to preset level for Sonos.

My clients can do 99.9% of what they want to do from a Lutron keypad, URC remote and iPad in iPort dock for Sonos control.  About the only thing else they might pull up on the ipads is the camera app, but I'll also often have the DVR/NVR available on 1-2 main TVs or through all the TV is a HDMI matrix is involved.

URC Total Control can integrate with all the AV, Lutron, HVAC, Cameras, etc. but to this point I haven't even showed a client how to use the TC app.  Total control just runs in the background doing stuff like making sure all the TVs and Music are turned off when they press the "Away" button on a Lutron keypad.

Instead of basing my business on high-end integration and systems with all the bells-and-whistles, I've developed a reputation for installing easy to use and very reliable systems with a big emphasis on craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Fist bump!

We used to install lots Elan Z and S systems. We would integrate security, cameras, music, video, lighting, doorbell/paging, etc. And they would work until something broke....physically...like a power supply for a Via panel, or the phone board on a Z600. We replace the broken part and it continues to work for many more years. We have replaced quite a few of those 10-20 year old systems in the last few years that still functioned 100%, but the clients wanted something new, or something that was not going to be compatible with the legacy hardware/interfaces, etc. Those old systems ran like the energizer bunny.

With current solutions, there is no way we can install a comparable system and expect it to continue to work for anywhere near that long without some kind of intervention. I guess that creates more service revenue, but I would much rather install another half dozen more systems in a year than spend that time fixing crap. :)

Engineering solutions with the least potential for service calls works out better for everyone if you ask me. I use the "Easy" vs. "Simple" contrast a lot. They are 2 different ball games in my mind.
"When I eat, it is the food that is scared." - Ron Swanson

Hosting Services by ipHouse