The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Friday November 10, 2017 at 13:51
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 10, 2017 at 09:23, highfigh said...
I tried to order a medium drink at McDonald's and the pinhead at the other end argued that they don't have a medium, only small, regular and large.

There's a story from twenty years ago about an old guy who went to a Jack in the Box and asked if they had a ham and cheese sandwich. He was told, no, they don't have that, but they have their Yumbo, which has ham and cheese in it. So he said, okay, I'd like one of those ham and cheese sandwiches. "But we don't have ham and cheese sandwiches." "You just said you did." "No, we have the Yumbo." Et cetera.

Employees who are taught EXACTLY what to do are discouraged from thinking.

There's a disconnect at a lot of soda machines, where the drinks are priced by name, for instance regular and large, but the cups and their lid dispensers are labeled by size, for instance, 16 oz, 32 oz, 44 oz.

When I get my regular size cup, I walk over to the machine to get the coke and to get a regular lid.

But they don't have medium lids. They have lids labeled 16 oz, 32 oz, and 44 oz. So which one do I choose?

I can't tell by the size -- I've tried that. One day it occurred to me that they usually stamp the ounce size on the bottom of the cups, so if I just turn the cup over... Fortunately, that day, I was swift enough not to just turn the cup over and read the ounce size. See, I had already filled it with coke.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse