The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Wednesday November 8, 2017 at 15:57
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
On November 8, 2017 at 13:14, gerard143 said...
I have had wire map pass. No shorts etc and the damn thing still won’t link up. Swap cables and all good.

This was to a sunbrite using snap 540 balun.

I was using structured cable products shielded direct burial cat 6. At first I noticed wiggling wire at balun would occasionally make link light. So I test cable. No issues. Wiggle cable every which way while testing. Passes. Swap to a second non direct burial cable. Worked fine. Said wtf. Ran a new length of direct burial. Same bs. Swapped baluns to another 540. Issue worse. Cable certifies.

Ultimately I said screw it and am running off the non direct burial wire. When I was talking to snap tech he said they were seeing issues on the 540.

Speed tests are indeed valuable. Very valuable. A cable can pass a wire map all day long but still not pass the speeds. A good meter is $1500 or so that can do this well. A cable “certifier” and “qualifier” are two diff things. Only one is actually a true legit speed rating you can sign off on during a prewire.

[Link: m.flukenetworks.com]

IMHO a VDV is very limited. In no way whatsoever is it all we need. In this business we all should be budgeting sooner rather then later for a tester that can certify a cable. It absolutely is a very valuable tool in network cable troubleshooting (even in HDMI balun usage).

I am trying to see if I read you right.  Yes, a VDV is very limited.  A cable certifier gives far more valuable info.  But if I get your comments (bold) above, you ran a new cable, certified it, and the extender would not link.  Did I get it right??

If so, in that case, certifying the cable was zero value.  Replacing the cable is the only fix, and requires no $1000 test gear - which in your case was of no help.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse