The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday November 8, 2017 at 10:52
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
On November 8, 2017 at 08:03, imt said...
I agree on the temp cable in many situations but probably not necessary now. wouldn't what has already been done, by Tom, pre-tester already prove that its a cable issue?

Tom,
Is it run in a conduit between indoors, where a new one could easily be pulled, or was this just trenched and buried in the ground? Is that Cat5e DB Rated?

It's a takeover so I am unsure. Will have to go back of course and check on the DB aspect. So far, I see the cable poke through the cabinet to go under the house, and it shows up at the outdoor location, coming up through a 1/2" conduit.

I am not looking forward to dealing with it. The straight path from house to TV is on the order of 100', while the cable checks out at 215' according to test results. The straight path would be under a brick patio/walkway, thus I assume the cable runs under the house waaaay down to the far end, where a conduit could have been laid to run the rest of the way.

Maybe the homeowner can fill in some blanks for me.

The "real world" aspect of the rest results interest me. When a thread pops up "What tester should I get", there are many opinions from people who own the things, but apparently there is not a great deal of understanding beyond "pass/fail" type results. The cable passes, great, but what about when it fails? If a crossed pair, you just change the end and done. I am getting the impression that few have seen much more than that, indicating data testing may not do most of us any good. A basic VDV tester may be all that we need.

Last edited by tomciara on November 8, 2017 12:16.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse