The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday November 5, 2017 at 22:58
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
Client has a Sunbrite TV outdoors connected to a Comcast box indoors, guessing 100' away, connected with cat5e. Snap 520 series extenders have worked for some time, but now the "LINK" LED is not lit.

Seeing EZ connectors, I replaced them with standard RJ45s, no change.

Grabbed a newer Snap extender, no change.

Grabbed a Zektor extender, still no link LED.

Simple cat5 tests show good, passed, no opens or conductors crossed.

Next I grabbed a Byte Brothers Real World Certifier that I got from Paul here (thanks, man!) and put it in action. I am not familiar with what I should see or should not, but here's what I found.

Again, continuity tests were good. Showed 215' of cable! But it has a data test of sorts that seems to indicate what speed the cable will pass. A graph showing cable speeds from cat3, 5, 5e, 6 indicates it may be passing slightly over 10mb/s, which it indicated is closer to cat3 speed. I don't know for sure if this is the problem or an indicator of something else to look for. There were also readings for skew, etc, but I am not sure how to interpret that.

Anyone who uses that tester or who has insight, I will really appreciate your input and advice.

Last edited by tomciara on November 7, 2017 14:09.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse