The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday November 5, 2017 at 10:01
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On November 5, 2017 at 05:55, buzz said...
I recently had a call from a cheapo contractor who thought that he could make some money by installing the wires himself -- why get me involved? He missed the point about active HDMI cables that there is an "in" and "out". He asked if I could swap ends. He's the type who would try wire nuts next. (Well, maybe not wire nuts, because he knows that I don't like them -- he'd use crimps)

I was asked by a customer to call the GM of his country club, so I could get involved in hanging the new TVs in the locker rooms. The women's was straightforward with no surprises- hang it on a tilting mount over the mantle with a cabinet next to it, where the equipment would go- the drywall hadn't been put up, so routing was easy and it needed about 10' of length. The men's locker room, OTOH, was different- they wanted a TV at each end with the DirecTV boxes behind the bar, so they had their maintenance guy go out and buy a couple so he could install them. As soon as I got there and looked at what they had, I found the 'Display' tags at the bar location and they had buried the cables behind new Walnut paneling and crown molding. Fortunately for them, someone had decided the coax to each TV location should stay, so I called DirecTV and ordered two RF remotes and mounts for their boxes, to allow them to mount behind the TVs and not be controlled by line of sight. The remotes were labeled and left for the staff to keep track of- I told them that putting the boxes so close to liquids was a bad idea, so the only loss was the cost of the Monster HDMI cables and possibly an uncomfortable conversation for the maintenance guy.

The project was supposed to be finished in time for the New Members weekend promo, where ONLY new members were supposed to be in the locker rooms and existing members couldn't influence them with their pettiness. As soon as I hung the TVs and assigned the remotes, some existing members came in and, like clockwork, they started with questions and comments like "Why is it so small?", "Why is it so low?" and "Geez- the display for my laptop is bigger than that".

They reinforced my opinion that this place is the Bushwood CC of the Milwaukee area.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse