The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Friday November 3, 2017 at 11:27
3PedalMINI
Loyal Member
July 2009
On November 2, 2017 at 17:32, Stryker said...
Take a cheap line, add a control system and now it can do more, WOW add money to make it do what other systems already do

Wow, Who the hell pissed in your wheaties yesterday, did I strike a cord with some obvious lutron frustrations your harboring?

Its a no brainer because its your house? or a client? you would do this in a clients house? poor man's lighting panel? your target market is poor men?
Why would you mix. just because of cost?

First of all bud, this is all for MY HOUSE. Its important to familiarize your self with products. As someone who just got married and in the midst of a house renovation its important to save some money where I can. When the performance of caseta does everything a panel or "ra2 select" could why not save money? explain me that, I would love to understand why im making a huge mistake by doing what im doing-For MY house let me add.

Killing it? Making more money than if you had sold one RA2 system for every 4 caseta jobs?
Or do you mean because you install caseta, you also get to add thousands in control4 to the project?

Killing it because I keep a probridge on the truck and 3 lamp dimmers. If I see a client during an install that I think could be a candidate for LC I throw it in as a demo for 45 days. 9 out of 10 times they finally understand what all the talk of LC is. This is when I switch them into C4 lighting. thats where my 1000's come from. Because it takes me less then 3 minutes to deploy that its basically free advertising. Sorry my DIY gateway pieces are putting money in the bank for my family.

Lutron frustrates you because they dont give integrators a DIY priced solution. Damn near every manufacturer in this space must piss you off

Lutron is undermining their own company with offering caseta and not offering an upgrade path. unless this has changed if a client has a previous caseta system installed (electronics are installing them more frequently in kitchens even) you have to rip it all out if you sell them RA2 select. Completely stupid. The fact that someone can get 3 caseta switches for less then the cost of one dimmer that doesnt frustrate you? some people dont care about aesthetics, or plain stupid. They get a quote from you for a kitchen with ra2 select, then get a simple quote from the electrician or another integrator for 1/3 the price for a product that does 95% of ra2 who are they going to go with? No because you seem dense, I will add that I DO NOT quote caseta for anything other then a small system or media room where were hitting a budget. Other then that its normally C4 lighting that goes in.

You sell clients a non expandable non upgradable lighting system. but its clients fault if they invested? Do you hate the people who spend money with you?

See above.

Is selling a Lighting system meant for integrators too hard for you to sell in your market?  I understand that markets vary across the country but are you just not having the right skill set to sell a step up product?

No, I have no problem selling lighting control system. My market supports it. What I do have a problem is ripping out product that works perfectly fine. I rather a client keep that money in their pocket or to put that into an upgraded projector, TV, Speakers, Amps etc. I make more money on those products then I do on lighting anyway.

Ra2 Select addresses the issues of expandability and upgradabilty and is a little lower cost then RA2 but its the biggest joke in our industry?

It saves the money over a main repeater, generally someone that can afford ra2 can give a shit about saving ~200 bucks. Why limit yourself by putting in a ra2 select repeater when the Main Repeater can do so much more, seems stupid. They should have dropped the cost of the switches to come in between Caseta and RA2, limit those to ~50 devices, then IF they want to expand then you have to replace the Select bridge with a main repeater, then update the switches. We ALL KNOW every product in lutrons lineup could be compatible with one another, they just limit it via software.

Do you drink a lot?

No, But after your post I grabbed a beer. Absent minded folks in this industry is what give us great integrators a bad name. wether you like it or not the industry is rapidly changing and evolving. there will be a time when C4/Crestron/Vantage/Lutron HAVE to bring the cost of LC down.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality is Remembered Long after the Sweetness of Price is Forgotten! - Benjamin Franklin

Hosting Services by ipHouse