Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Sunday October 29, 2017 at 22:46
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
Guys, what a great discussion.
I'm glad I brought it up -- all educated decisions are awesome learning tools.

I would only like to add; don't be ignorant and ASSume that one plan is better than the other.

I don't know your personal situation, so I can't tell you exactly what it'll be like.
I have 'helped' several others with different employers, plans and medical circumstances.
Here is what I have learned: In most, not all but most cases, HSA was better.

For illustrative purposes, lets take a look at my own situation.
Some numbers will be rounded.

- On regular plan, my yearly contributions would be $4,800.
- $25 co-pay per visit.
- Dental and eye care are seperate and not part of this discussion.
or
- HSA plan. First $3,400 I'm responsible 100%. From $3,401-xxx I'm responsible for 40% up to max of $5,000

Based on that, it looks like I could be saving $200/yr with regular insurance.

Here is the kicker though:
- If I don't use doctors at all in a given year, I still put out $4,800 and got 'nothing' in return.
- If I do use a doctor, I have to pay $25 co-pay each visit. 8 doctor visits is my break even point. 9th visit, I'm loosing money again.
- HSA with 5-10 visits a year with average cost of $150/visit is still only ~$750-$1,500 per year, vs. standard insurance $4,800+(10*$25)=$5,050.
- HSA in my above example allows $6,900 contribution with max out of pocket expenses of $5,000 means that I will have a positive balance of $1,900 each year.
- Any balance over $1,000 can be invested.
- As long as HSA and it's investments are used for medical expenses (today or during retirement), contributions and distributions are tax free.
- Remember I said that dental and eye wasn't part of my medical plan? It's true, it's not. But guess what? It is a medical expense, which means I can pay for it with my HSA credit card.

Hosting Services by ipHouse