Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday October 23, 2017 at 16:08
MountainMike
Founding Member
December 2001
Howdy!

I've been out of the custom remote market for many years (since the original Philips Pronto days) and I'm hoping you generous folks can help me out.

I'm in need of a universal remote for the following devices:

Room 1:
Philips LED TV (2008-vintage, 47TA648BX)
Xfinity X1 "tuner" (XG1-P; RF and IR capable, obscured IR receiver [it's in a cabinet])
Amazon Fire TV (the appliance version, not the Stick...though I don't think it makes a difference as they both use Bluetooth for remote control)

Room 2:
Yamaha receiver (RX-V1; exposed IR receiver)
Samsung LED TV (2010-vintage, UN55C6400RF; exposed IR receiver)
QNAP NAS appliance (TVS-873; exposed IR receiver)
Pioneer Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD35; exposed IR receiver)

Of this lot of hardware, the only real conerns are the FireTV (bluetooth) and the X1 tuner (which will require an IR repeater/blaster, or a remote that can talk RF directly to it).

I'm pretty skilled with customizing remotes, having personally highly customized a Yamaha RAV-2000 (re-branded Pronto). I know about discrete IR codes, macros, activities, PC-based programming, etc., so that sort of stuff doens't scare me. I've just been out of the market so long I don't know what's available currently that can support all the different remote "methods" I find in my current system (RF and Bluetooth).

I'd like to generate a couple of simple macros for my family to use to watch Xfinity TV, Fire TV and DVDs. I'd like to have matching remotes in Rooms 1 and 2, and get them in the $150 range.

So far the closest thing I've found has been a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home (with Hub) from CostCo for $140. It can do Bluetooth (good for FireTV) and can operate my X1 when the X1 is set to IR. However, it can't be programmed via PC (not a deal breaker, but the on-device programming is really limited) and I don't see any way to manually add discrete Hex codes to it. (I'm having to add them to the RAV-2000 [using a '90s-vintage laptop with Windows XP and an RS-232 port--ouch!], and then teach them to the Harmony.)

Is there anything on the market better than the Harmony+Hub that supports IR, IR blasters, RF and Bluetooth? (Maybe I'm searching for a unicorn...)

Thanks in advance!

Hosting Services by ipHouse