The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Sunday October 1, 2017 at 17:40
Grasshopper
Long Time Member
May 2016
On September 29, 2017 at 20:10, tweeterguy said...
Read up on 10/100 and 10/100/1000

She wanted (or was expecting) 1000 Mbit i.e. gigabit. You gave her 100 Mbit.

Many reasons that could be the case: cable spec not rated for it, cable distance past limit, switch port isn’t 10/100/1000, improperly configured switch or AP, and on and on. And sure maybe someone used some wire stretchers while pulling it.

Basically what I knew about 10/100 and 10/100/1000 is that the latter is gigabit speeds and having a 10/100 piece of gear in your network can slow it down. I can almost guarantee that the other things you mentioned were not the case. Almost...well, the improper configuration at least. I know the distance, rating, and switch are good.

On September 29, 2017 at 20:23, crosen said...
Check for a bent pin on the WAPs Ethernet port.

Also, walk the WAP over to the switch and see what link speed is achieved with a fresh patch cable.

*smacks forehead* the switch was only 30 feet away, I should have done that. If I'm the guy that goes back, I definitely will. I'll look for a bent pin as well. It's not likely, but, from what I read after reading the responses here that makes sense as well.

On September 30, 2017 at 03:12, buzz said...
Grasshopper,

Here is a quick cable review.

Thanks, Buzz! I know enough to the point that at least half of that made sense to me. I'm sure I'll be referencing that in the future. Lemme ask ya...if the wap was only running 100mbps, what speeds do you think the access point could achieve?

On September 30, 2017 at 11:41, tweeterguy said...
The max pull tension spec of 25-34 lbf (depending on category cable type) is there for a reason, so I would bet someone has seen it make a difference. That’s equivalent to hanging just two gallons of paint on standard cat5/6 and you’re at the max pull tension. I’ve seen assholes in the field literally hanging their body weight trying to pull a cable...They had the pleasure of re-pulling a new cable.

Very good to know, man. Seems to me like I'm now the only person who has been pulling wire who knows this. I don't know how many footpounds pulling *however hard* is, but I'm sure we've broken that rule a number of times...

The only question I have right now is, as I asked Buzz...no, I'll add to it as well. operating at a 10/100 speed, what "speeds" do you think could be achieved? I know what bandwidth is for sure in the audio world, but when referring to speed and bandwidth in the networking world, is it the same? Basically, bandwidth would be the number of lanes on a highway. Cars would be the bits. If all of the cars are traveling in one lane, obviously that's not efficient, but if you have ten lanes then you can get ten times the bits to pass a certain point in the same period of time. Is this correct?

You guys are great. Thanks as always.
Everyone should learn something new every day.

Hosting Services by ipHouse