The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday September 29, 2017 at 18:49
Grasshopper
Long Time Member
May 2016
So, I have to learn a lot of things on my own as I don't have any networking training, only what I get on the job.

Scenario: I was sent to check on an access point at a condo we provide wifi for. First thing I did was went to the switch that the access point was plugged into and switched ports. The problem, dropping off, followed the WAP. I cable mapped it and it passed. The lights on the wap, though, the ctl and pwr lights, were fluttering intermittently/back and forth/just weird. So, I re-terminated both ends. It passed. I plugged it back in and the lights on the wap were behaving normally. The girl who logged in to the Ruckus ZoneDirector remotely to check on it after I "got it working" said that it was only at 100 when it should be at 1000. (She didn't know that I don't have a whole lot of networking knowledge, just bits and pieces) Apparently this means that while copper to copper cable mapping comes back fine, the wire could still be compromised and will not perform the way it's supposed to. The guy who would be considered my "boss" for the day (well, actually he's a partner in the biz so he's always my boss, I was just working "for" him today) says that what it signifies is that the wire, the copper, may have been stretched thin while being pulled through the conduit. I can understand this concept the way he described it.

What can you tell me about what's going on here? Is it also possible that the access point has gone bad? Would that cause the problem as well, the "it's only at 100" problem? I may be back early next week to the same place (among others with the same problem) to pull new wire. Should I bring a replacement wap and try that first? There are 6 - 7 that are having this same problem. I can't say that all wires were pulled with appropriate amounts of lubricant, or with lubricant at all...(I've learned well over the last year that lubricant can be your best friend, especially in tight pipes...heh...)

Thanks!
Everyone should learn something new every day.

Hosting Services by ipHouse