The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday September 11, 2017 at 09:00
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 10, 2017 at 23:25, crosen said...
Typically, when I run structured wiring, the process looks like this:

1. Wire rough-in - this is complete while all walls are open. Once done, all wires are inventoried, but none are tested.

2. Wire inspection/testing - once the wall are up, but before they are painted, all wires are terminated and tested to find wires that were damaged when the walls went up. Unfortunately, the termination is only temporary, because the head end is not ready for patch panels to be mounted and the rooms aren't ready for final termination, either.

3. Final wire termination, testing and trim - finally, once all surfaces in the home are finished, all wires are properly terminated, trimmed out and tested.

The obvious problem with this approach is that I am terminating the wires twice, which is lots of extra labor.

How do you handle this? Is it possible to terminate the wires during the first inspection/testing phase in a way that doesn't require them to be reterminated?

If you have a good idea of the cable lengths, you could use a TDR and test them without terminating as a way to check for shorts & opens, as well as determining actual use for that job. It won't tell you anything about throughput or resolution, but it's not as time consuming and it won't use parts.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse