The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Sunday September 10, 2017 at 16:07
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 10, 2017 at 14:27, ckwa said...
Are there any AVRs on the market that have an inbuilt sub amp to power a passive subwoofer ?

Almost all AVRs have a sub pre out which needs to go into a separate sub amp, the sub amps tend to be very expansive, but i wondered if there way an AVR with an integrated sub amp ?

I need a separate sub amp as i want to use an in ceiling subwoofer which is passive as opposed to the standard active floor standing subwoofers.

Most companies don't build their AVRs to meet the specs- why would they add a power amp that needs to develop more power than the rest of the channels, combined?

If the AVR has a sub out, just use an amp- you'll have much more flexibility and control over its output, too. You can use almost any power amp- I have used the Behringer A500 and it worked fine. I have also used amplifiers from Skywalker, AudioSource and others with similar success. Don't overthink the importance of an amplifier- if it has the ability to drive the speaker(s) without puking, use it. If it has some kind of DSP to add limiting and compression and/or crossover, even better.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse