The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Sunday September 10, 2017 at 02:40
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Lifting the ground of a three-prong plug is DANGEROUS. Only do so as a temporary troubleshooting measure to see if the problem is ground-related. If you determine that it's ground-related, then you have to find a solution other than lifting the ground. Some products are built with switches that allow you to remove the connection between the chassis and the power ground, and it is safe to use those switches to disconnect the chassis from the power ground. All other products with three wire power cords are designed to be used with the ground pin connected. More importantly, they are UL approved only if the ground is connected, and if you remove that ground yourself, you are liable for any and all damages that even MIGHT happen as a result. Fire comes to mind as something you could be blamed for.

Now, on to tonight's next topic:

On September 9, 2017 at 19:27, buzz said...
For the less experienced:

buzz, taking that path is fraught with danger!

I'd be careful using that approach here. Someone or other is going to feel insulted, or will argue that what you're talking about here isn't germane (and I don't mean Jackson). For instance, the entire subject of induced hum was brought up in a discussion of ground loops hums, and the two things are barely related at all. Now just wait for the argument against that statement.

Plus, you'll end up writing long posts, because once you start getting technical, you'll probably feel like you need to write defensively in advance, including all the technical terms and provisos that will keep someone from arguing with you. Oh, and people will argue that your posts are too long.

Now I'll read that post of yours. Thanks for it
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse