The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Saturday September 9, 2017 at 01:22
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 8, 2017 at 23:29, Impaqt said...
Those Muxlab pieces can hardly be called "Baluns" those are just sending line level over a cat cable.

I would first suggest using a true balanced line driver like the AudioControl BLD10/BLR10 combo

You are right about using a balanced line if the problem is that hum is induced in the signal leads. That's not what everybody is telling to look for and solve.

Those units have shield connections. If you connect the shield at both ends, you will have interconnected the grounds of the two racks and you'll be back where you were -- with regard to ground loops -- at the start.

By the way, what ground isolator did you use? I must admit I have trouble looking at your rack setups and determining from that just what ground might be connected to what, so I'm asking outright.

When I shoot audio over to the second rack I am getting very loud humming over the whole system.

What, exactly, is connected to what? I'm looking for an answer along the lines of "preamp zone 2 RCA outputs to non-ground-isolated fake baluns to two pairs of a CAT5; other end of CAT5 has 2 RCA plugs on it that go into __________."

And yeah, what's "hum doesn't change but it changes when I touch the speaker leads?"
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse