The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Tuesday August 22, 2017 at 13:49
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 22, 2017 at 08:31, Ranger Home said...
Was 71% coverage here, assumed it would darken a bit outside. It did not, not a lick.

Yes, it did. Your body has GREAT autoirises.

On August 22, 2017 at 10:38, highfigh said...
They should have used better filters on the cameras, if they used them at all.

I'm talking about iris settings. What filters would they use instead of making an iris adjustment?* Filters usually limit the wavelengths and/or polarization of light, while iris adjustments don't mess with that at all, but instead limit the amount of light -- of the original spectral composition -- allowed into the camera.

The audio effect can be caused by using compressor/limiters.

Not really. He experienced very little change in apparent light level reaching his eyes, which I think was due to his irises opening as the light diminished. I made a parallel between that and some imaginary action of the ears that might make quieter sounds become easier to hear.

Compressors and limiters do not change how the ears work, so they're already off the table. In addition, their action is to limit the upper part of the dynamic range, not to expand sensitivity in the lower part of the dynamic range.

*Edit: I realized that the large amount of light attenuation needed to get a proper exposure with a camera probably would require a filter, just as our eyes need a filter to look at the sun. The smallest camera iris I've run across was f22, and I bet you'd need something like f200 -- hey, a pinhole! -- if only an iris was to be used.

The problem was not that the filter wasn't good. It was that they slapped it in place, changing an image of the black disc of the moon with corona around it into no image at all except for a dim crescent, hardly visible at all.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on August 22, 2017 14:33.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse