The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday August 16, 2017 at 21:14
audvid
Founding Member
August 2001
After frustrating experience with Xantech ir232 - it needs win xp! - I found a great product to convert IR to RS 232.. I am not sure if this would work with other brands as well but it works great with Sony codes.. Something about SIRC that I don't know anything about..

I have been using it and it works perfectly, to control my wolf cinema dcx1000i projector.
I can't believe that projector manufacturers are so stupid to not give us discrete on/off codes (thanks Christie Digital!). Even Sony did not give the option on the remotes. What is the matter with these idiots? Has no one heard of universal remotes?

Anyway, my frustration has been solved, thanks to Gary Peek at Industrologic.com

Here is the IR to rs232 product:

[Link: industrologic.com]
Only $79 + $10 for cover + 10 for usb to rs232. You will probably need to order a null modem and a Gender changer.. Typical rs232 cable will need a gender changer!

Programming is very easy - but only if you talk to them. It is not easy to program, reading the instructions. I wish they would put better instructions but Gary Peek at indstrologic was extremely helpful. He asked me to send him the rs232 info manual on my projector.. he read it and emailed me his suggestions! He went out of his way for this.. and I appreciate it very much. He told me to make sure I change my projector settings to 9800 baud.

Below are my own notes (not the best instructions, I admit!).

Connect the rs232 box to your computer.. make sure you know the com port number!
run the program: term232 program (it is in the CD or can be downloaded from industrologic.com )
hit esc 3 times
you will see cmd>

point remote at the box.- Only sony remote and press any button

I programmed URC for Sony (1) LD power on/off using urc database.

hit the button on remote, while pointing it to the device and
it will show device code =6 function = 46 SONY LASER DISC POWER BUTTONS ARE 46 for ON AND 47 FOR OFF
type the following:
cmd> M1=6,46,(PWR 1) THIS WILL PROGRAM THE ASCI CODE (PWR 1) INTO M1
CMD> M2=6,47,(PWR 0) WILL PROGRAM it INTO M2

now Sony LD on IR code will send (PWR 1) via rs232 to my Wolf Cinema dcx1000i projector.
It is working flawlessly!

Alternately, to test, you can connect a computer via rs232 directly to the projector and type out commands and it should react to your commands.

Hosting Services by ipHouse