The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Sunday August 13, 2017 at 19:14
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On August 13, 2017 at 10:35, Ernie Gilman said...
Thought so, wasn't sure. Doesn't getting stuck above 0% prove connection to the internet?

I was not onsite and I did exactly that. She found it too difficult to try. Plus I need to update myself to be sure the speed test is not one of those that's biased to show ISP as faster than it really is.

It's not hard but I don't have the Roku so I can't see the steps she'd have to take. That's a formula for getting it wrong.

Yeah, I know.

Thanks for the help.

It does, but it's possible that something might cause the network to lag and drop out- it could lose the connection and show that it's loading because the Roku has a fairly large buffer. Mine has played Pandora for minutes when I had to reboot the U-Verse router.

1) Press the Home button twice (the first time only takes you to the row of channels where you chose what you were watching)
2) Scroll up one step to Settings
3) Press the Right button twill show the list, the first option being Network
4) Right button again will show Connected (or not), Connection Type, IP address, Wireless MAC address, Signal Strength and Wireless channel

If she has to reboot it, she would:

1) Home Button twice
2) Scroll up one step to Settings
3) Press Right Button once
4) scroll up one step to System
6) Press Right button once and it will stop at 'About'
7) Scroll up three steps to System Restart

7a) System Update is one step above System Restart

Might not be a bad idea to tell her to do 7a), instead- it will restart automatically if the update has been performed. If there's no update, she should choose 7).

What kind of network hardware does she have? I called Applecare on Tuesday and the guy told me to stop while I was describing the network to tell me they don't recommend, nor do they support, more than three Apple Airport and/or Time Capsule in the same system. I don't remember seeing that here and I definitely don't remember them telling me about that little detail.

It would have helped to know that ten years ago when I first encountered the crap that comes from using their network shyte. I could have avoided wasting a lot of time.

If the update or restart don't help, tell her to do a speed test- she could have full signal strength and no bandwidth to the outside. If someone added an Apple Airport and didn't configure it correctly, it will crash the network as soon as it's connected. Signal strength will look normal, but the speed will take a complete dump.

Last edited by highfigh on August 13, 2017 19:24.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse