The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 38 made on Tuesday August 1, 2017 at 09:48
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On July 31, 2017 at 23:35, Mogul said...
Would the owner of a beloved Ferrari be OK if the Ferrari dealer told him his tires and brake pads were worn out and the only course of action was to replace the car? Would he feel better if the Ferrari dealer explained that his new car will reach 60mph .7 seconds faster than his old one at a cost of only $287,000? I think not.

Tires and brake pads are like speakers and amps. You can get tires from anywhere and you can get entire braking systems to replace whats there. This isn't a fair comparison. The engine being beyond repair is closer. If the Farrari owner really loves the car he ponies up what it would cost for a new engine or he...buys a new one.

In the cases I'm referring to, clients are thrilled with the systems they already own and just want them to continue functioning as they have for years. In my case, that's 10 years or less. In an increasing number of cases, I cannot fulfill their request because parts and support do not exist to repair components that are [predictably] failing. Where whole-house integrated systems are concerned, the replacement costs quickly tally up to thousands or tens of thousands of dollars with labor included, all so the homeowner can continue using a system they already own. That is a bitter pill and many clients don't believe the convenience of automated and centralized systems outweighs the costs associated with repairing or replacing them every 7-10 years, regardless of the "performance enhancements" they may achieve in the process.

They were thrilled with their Mercedes 10 years ago. They will be more thrilled with a new one.

Additionally, as our product lines expand to include "mission critical" and safety-related items like light switches, thermostats, smoke detectors, etc. customers rightly hold heightened expectations for reliability and longevity. It's frustrating when a DTV receiver or spare bedroom TV remote freezes up. It's quite another scenario when the automated dimmer at the top of a darkened stairwell fails to respond...

Sell Lutron.

I've seen electricians [up until the ARC Fault code mandate anyway] source replacement breakers for 35 year old Cutler-Hamer panels to conduct single circuit repairs. I've also seen A/V techs unable to source replacement Classic RA parts for switches installed in 2007. Where "physical plant" product is concerned, the integration brands had better start thinking more like the utility brands in-so-far-as longevity, reliability and replaceability if they want to continue expanding their market share.

I have seen guys source drivers online for a few bucks for 50 year old speakers.

Bottom line...Years of whizbangery and added convenience do not trump a few moments of frustration and expense of ownership for a growing number of our clients, rich or not.

I stand by what i said. The same person who bought the system 10 years ago is either out of money or had a bad experience.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse