Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday July 20, 2017 at 23:18
Mogul
May 2010
On July 20, 2017 at 19:11, slobob said...
It currently has serious limitations, and serious potential....
I just did a two room BASIC system and here are the issues I have found:

If you have smart devices (IP controlled) they show up outside of the "Entertainmnet" button, likewise all other devices must reside with in the entertaiment area. So an extra button step, no biggie you say, however- IP devices do NOT show up on the APP, and the much touted "now playing" feature shown in the training cannot jump to the IP devices (and while you can make dumby buttons in the entertainment area, you can't jump to an IP device).

The system I set up was Sony TV (IP), Yamaha AVR (IP), Roku (IP), Sonos (IP), DTV (IR), sony dvd (IR). So with this simple system, th eremote was spliot into two areas (home screen and entertainment) and while the remote integrated the IP devices (Roku / Sonos) well, neither would show up on the app..... frustrating.
If you make dumby buttons for the APP, they show up on the remote and lead to confusion...
I see this becoming either a major issue, or if they (URC) make a few tweeks, a major plus as more and more things are becoming IP control. In my system at home I have a 100% IP controlled system, so as it stands today I couldn't use the app at all!

The cloud based editor works well, but navigation and labeling are a bit odd, just will take a short while to get familiar with the nomenclature. The instructions and options for setting up as a dealer, and user (customer) are a bit hoakey, and could be labeled MUCH clearer. Note: Make sure you get all the correct info for the customer and SPELL everything correctly. YOU CANNOT EDIT once the system is activated. I suggest that the customer use a gmail or other cloud address and not their ISP provided one, as emails cannot be edited in the future.

The "jobs list" and room/device templates are only visible in their respective areas (and not too intuitive at that) as there is no standard file tree structure.

Remote updating and editing is a breeze...

LOTS of potential, but as it stands, just barely above DIY in my opinion.

Very good info...Thank you for taking the time to convey so much [useful] detail! I cannot fathom why IP controlled devices wouldn't show up in the ap...I thought that was the POINT of this control system...?

Last edited by Mogul on July 21, 2017 07:22.
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble." [Sir Henry Royce]

Hosting Services by ipHouse