The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Thursday July 20, 2017 at 03:10
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 19, 2017 at 12:26, Knowinnothin said...
HI Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I don't expect a sensor in the solenoid to tell me the exact percentage of the valve position but I would think that there would be something that with a certain voltage applied the solenoid would activate the valve to a certain position.

That is an analog approach: you vary a voltage level and get a proportionate response. It's very hard to use because you can't depend on exact voltage levels, so you can't depend on performance.

I'm sure with all the automation in larger commercial environment's and especially industrial that these would be common place. If I could find something that would do 25,50,75, 100 percent im sure it would be enough.

I described a strange but workable way to do this digitally, with the combinations of binary numbers resulting in those exact percentages of flow. I mean, I could see someone looking at that thing I described and saying, "WTF is that monstrosity?" But then saying, "damn, that'll work, won't it?"

I was going to make a comment about 10 bit versus 16 bit sprinkler control, but that seemed excessive. And maybe a 44.1 kHz switching rate.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse