The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 55 made on Monday June 26, 2017 at 23:06
juliejacobson
CE Pro Magazine
April 2003
Totally forgot about this thread. Great reading.

Best advice I ever heard: Worst first.

Get the shitty stuff out of the way.

One thing I'll never understand is why dealers keep lining up to be early adopters, either with an unproven company or untested (or non existent) product. For products that matter -- things you have to wire for, things that are hard to install, things that cannot fail ... why wouldn't you take them into your office for a few months , burn them in, test them with (supposedly) compatible products, etc.

Dealers will prewire a client's home or cut spaces for products that aren't even shipping ... and complain to the supplier.

All the bozos who got burned by Nirv ... no sympathy.

If the vendor isn't willing to give you generous allowances for such things, don't do it!

I would never have specified Control4 in their first year or two of existence. Ditto for Savant or any other supplier of things that are hard or expensive to swap out.

The risks are diminishing somewhat because stuff is getting cheaper and somewhat more standardized/ interoperable, but still....

If you must take risks with new products or vendors, put a whole lot of stipulations down on paper.

All of you here will say you would never be so foolish as to ..... right.
"CEPro: your website sucks!" - Fins
www.cepro.com
[Link: twitter.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse