Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3,289 made on Tuesday June 13, 2017 at 10:09
WarrenL
Long Time Member
June 2010
On June 1, 2017 at 18:18, OBICO said...
WNYO's  transmitter is located adjacent to Ironwood's Golf Coarse in Cowlesville, which has wind turbines.

I asked Trip Ericson whether these can have an effect on reception, this is his reply:

They can, yes.  In Waymart, PA, the wind turbines more or less destroyed local TV to the extent that they installed translators in the area to help local viewers overcome the problem.

I researched this from Wikipedia:

WQPX operates its digital fill-in translator on UHF channel 49. That translator is run by NextEra Energy Resources in Waymart, PA. Windmills run by NextEra Energy Resources in the area surrounding Waymart interfere with full power television signals from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market.

[Link: rabbitears.info]

I know that homes in that area have a hard time picking up WNLO because of the wind turbines. However a problem with WNYO is that it has a directional signal instead of a non directional pattern. Another's word, it full power is directed to Buffalo, while it's beam in other directions is at reduce power. At one point WNYO did apply to install a non directional beam for it's transmitter and the FCC granted it, but then the spectrum auction came and the CP (construction permit) was never acted on. Anyhow the directional beam of WNYO transmitter makes it hard signal to get outside of the Buffalo area.
Here is a link on Rabbit Ears, that shows the transmitter pattern of WNYO. if your browser supports it, you can point at the dots in the pattern, it will show the power level of the beam at that point.
[Link: rabbitears.info]

Last edited by WarrenL on June 13, 2017 10:27.

Hosting Services by ipHouse