The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Saturday May 6, 2017 at 08:53
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On May 6, 2017 at 02:04, Ernie Gilman said...
Let me try again. From whatis.techtarget.com:

This definition includes exactly how you define ground, but makes it clear with the word "or" that there are more than only one definition of ground.

This is a second source where one definition of ground is that it's a reference point from which voltages are measured.

I don't know the uses of the term "bonding" outside of simple electrical wiring, but in many years of electronic work, I have NEVER heard "bonding" used when talking about chassis ground, signal ground, power supply ground, or any other common point used as the reference point from which voltages are measured in electronic equipment. I dare say it's not the proper term for what we call in audio connections to ground, to system ground, to chassis ground.

Bonding is the word used for the metal strap, wire or clip with teeth that connects an engine to a firewall and/or hood on a car- these are often removed and left off when building custom cars because they don't look good, but they help to keep RF from exiting the engine compartment when the engine is running. If you have listened to AM radio and noticed a load of static when a classic car or truck pulled next to you at a stop sign or light, it's usually because they used solid plug wires or they left the wire/braided strap or clip off.

A bonding conductor is also required when the electric service has a main breaker panel and at least one sub panel.

[Link: ecmweb.com]
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse