The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Friday May 5, 2017 at 20:17
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
On May 5, 2017 at 13:45, SWOInstaller said...
Ernie, I realize electrical inspectors have authority but here in Canada (Ontario) they can't dictate much in regards to low voltage other than it running in the same holes as line voltage. I can run the wires however I want in any direction, put loops and bends and not a single staple or strap holding the wires and there is nothing they can say to me other than I do a shoddy job of pulling wire.

The only time an inspector can say anything about my work is when the building inspector walks through and I didn't use FT4 rated wire or drilled too large/many holes through a supporting header/beam or didn't use vapor bags where required.

*Disclaimer* I would never do any of the above mentioned wiring techniques although have seen it done may times without anyone saying anything except it looks awful. Like majority of us on here, we take pride in our work whether it be at the prewire or finish. When someone is paying us to do the work we make sure we have straight lines and don't just run the wires wherever we want because we can.

I don't know how it is in CA where Ernie is, but on the right coast our inspectors are the direct prophets of God. They can make up any requirement they want that's stricter than the code book, on the spot and it's law. Now, you can appeal their ruling and take it to the state board, and can probably win. But if you plan to do other work in that inspector's jurisdiction, appealing is suicide.

But that said, as long as we don't do something stupid, most inspectors ignore low voltage because they don't understand it.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse