The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Friday May 5, 2017 at 17:00
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 5, 2017 at 15:46, King of typos said...
I've made over 500 RJ45 crimps, with more or less the same crimper. All at the same company.

At one point I was consistently making bad connections, as well as my coworkers. It took us a long time to figure what the heck our problem was. But comparing the new connections to the old, it became apparent when looking at the sides.

You can clearly see where the jacket of the cat5 can be pushed into and where only the wire can proceed to the pins. Well we were use to the RJ45 connectors that allowed a shorter wire. Then the new connectors came in and it required more of the jacket to be stripped off, but of course we didn't know that. 80% of the time we weren't making connections. But when we did, it was slow.

Didn't the manufacturer have instructions, or a drawing showing what lengths of strip for the outer jacket?

Another set had larger holes. So instead of 22-24 gauge wire, it allowed 16-18, well at least something larger. And we kept on cross crimping wires into different pins. Or crimping 2 wires under one pin.

What product was this? Seriously, I'd like to know.
Wasn't there a spec on their website to tell you how to strip it and what size wires fit into it? Was it perhaps made for 24 stranded, which is not the same size as 24 solid?
So if you can, compare the new RJ45 connections to old to see if you see any differences and adjust as needed.

So if you can, don't make an entire network worth of connections depend on you eyeballing a connector and deciding what to use from that inspection. Look up the actual data for that connector online. If you must, telephone them!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse