The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Friday May 5, 2017 at 14:58
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 5, 2017 at 13:42, Jeff at Zektor said...
We recommend against using them but we know that integrators do. High humidity environments can corrode the exposed ends causing a short. That is one of the biggest reasons I know of.

If slot drive screws were the most common kind of screw, I don't think anybody here would use an old butter knife as a screwdriver, yet many of us tolerate ten year old crimpers, dull razors, wire cutters that mash the wire instead of cutting crisply, etc.

I haven't terminated a lot of CAT cable, but the small numbers that I have done was a PIA.

It gets better when you do more. It gets substantially worse when you go to CAT6, and practice has not, so far, helped me very much. But it gets WAY BETTER when you do EZs! And you have to crimp it correctly.

When a client complains about the price in a proposal, you should hand them a foot of CAT cable offering a discount if they can terminate both ends in 10 minutes then and it has to work. Then tell them you have to do this 50 to 100 times in your project.

That is such a genius idea!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse