The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Friday May 5, 2017 at 10:54
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On May 5, 2017 at 09:09, drewski300 said...
I'm just assuming its the preamp because that's your variable. We have a very similar issue with someone who purchased a "Refab" table from the 80's. We hooked it up to a Rolls preamp with a significant hum. We are bringing out a Parasound preamp to test. I'm hoping I don't have to tell him his $100 turn table needs to be replaced....because that won't go over well.

If the TT is far from the preamp (like the OP's case), it's not a $100 turntable, it's whatever the whole setup + labor costs.

"Refab"- refurbished? Never assume this was done correctly when there's so much BS flying around the internet. It's possible that the person ("expert") who did the work tied the negative for the cartridge to the ground wire, separated it or used some super special cable and boogered up the solder joints. What turntable are you referring to?

Remove the head shell and clean the contacts- the dirt on the contacts is what caused the hum and RFI on mine.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse