The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Saturday April 15, 2017 at 14:12
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 15, 2017 at 03:43, buzz said...
I don't like to assume that the system will come up with the correct inputs selected. What if a guest dug up the native remote or operated a unit directly and left the system in an unexpected state? One could set inputs and such as part of the OFF sequence, but it is more bombproof and logical to do this at power-up.

It is, indeed, if you don't mind making the client wait up to ten additional seconds on every power-up. And, since I don't use a SYSTEM ON button in my remotes, but instead tie power-up into source selection on the remote, that delay would be involved in switching from one input to another.

So, to take less time every time, I set the TV to the correct input on power down. Then I don't need the client to take the time to wait for an ON macro to execute; they execute source selection and Power On with just the source selection button.

If a guest dug up a remote, etc, then the system won't work properly with this scheme and the first thing a person will do is turn the system off and try again. This resets everything.

I think it's better to set up the remote for fastest operation in normal circumstances; then in abnormal circumstances, since people understand that it's not working quite right, a bit of time to turn off and then on again is not only tolerable, it's so ordinary that there's a T shirt for it:

If the programming platform supports flags, one could flag that a unit has been turned ON and the TV input is on the receiver's video output and reset the flags with the OFF button. This strategy will result in a remote that seems to operate faster because redundant commands are not re-issued after the initial power-up.

But this is totally vulnerable to the guest digging up a remote and messing with the TV's input settings, so it doesn't solve the problem.

On Yamaha receivers I can use a "Scene" button that is almost impossible to reach with the native remote to insure that the receiver is in a compatible state with a single command.

? ? The "native remote" (the Yamaha) has scene buttons right on it. What did you mean here? I use the Scene buttons, too, even though a person can reset them just by pushing and holding on the chassis. So far nobody has reset any of them.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse