The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Sunday April 9, 2017 at 09:49
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 9, 2017 at 07:55, Ernie Gilman said...
Who the hell brought up arcing? I'm asking about something that happens with a connected connection. I can't see how anything having to do with arcing can address the question.

"connected connection", eh? A bit repetitively redundant I think, although at a microscopic level, is the contact area clean enough to truly be a perfect connection?
Now that you've brought up arcing, which is outside the range of what I was asking about, I have to ask you to state the question that you think you're answering in this paragraph.

You asked "Do electrons do this onto and off of wires?"- what would you call that, if not 'arcing'? In open air or at a microscopic level, electrons leaving one conductor and moving toward another is still called 'arcing' if it happens because of electrical charge.

Sigh.
Since you've referred me to an article named "Coulomb's Law," I have to ask which section is the section you refer to as the Coulomb's Law section.

Did you even scroll down in the link" There's a section titled 'The Law'. It might be in there, but you'll have to decide.

And since the question I proposed has to do with connections made via wire, I have to ask you how attraction and repulsion in free space relate to the question of whether two batteries connected plus to plus and minus to minus, that is, not a free space condition, when they come to "equilbrium," are at an "equilibrium" meaning no current flows but there might be the teensiest difference in voltage, or an "equilibrium" meaning they are at exactly the same voltage.

I totally agree that this might only be measurable by lab equipment.

Speaking of which, did I ever tell about the physics researcher who connected a galvanometer to a test device using several short pieces of telephone wire draped across equipment? He got no results! So he measured the galvanometer with an ohmmeter and discovered the galvanometer was open. So he checked out another, then another, galvanometer, and found every one of them was open!

(Soon but too late he learned that the amount of current coming out of an ohmmeter can blow a galvanometer.)

You're telling me that I'm wrong but you don't seem to understand that what I/we gave you answers the question. You wrote "at an "equilibrium" meaning no current flows but there might be the teensiest difference in voltage"- by definition, that can't happen if they are truly in equilibrium.

If you had mentioned the type of Ohmmeter, it would have been helpful. If the researcher used something like an old Simpson analog meter, it shows that he clearly didn't know that it can illuminate an incandescent bulb while the leads are connected to it.

I'll assume you included this wonderful anecdote because I wrote that it would be difficult to measure the tiny charge with common test equipment- I didn't think anyone would want to bother with that but it would be a good way to go about it.

You still haven't shown the specific application for your question. Writing that you want to know what happens when two batteries are connected and about the point where no electrons move isn't specific enough, really- it doesn't include the reason for wanting to know this. If you're trying to develop some kind of product to maintain battery charge level or something else and you want to patent whatever it is that you're doing, I understand the vagueness but this info is out there- you just need to know how to ask the questions that will yield the answers you NEED, which we have already given. The problem is that we apparently haven't given the answers you want.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse