The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Saturday April 8, 2017 at 19:58
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
Well, after all the worry, I have to say, the bear turned out damn good. I meant to get a picture before the ham was carved, but was I was running so tight on time, I forgot. It was the biggest hit. A friend of mine who worked as a meat cutter before his career as a game warden and is a big bear hunter, and told me it would turn out tough and awful, said it was the best bear he's ever had. The closest thing I can describe it to would be Texas style brisket. Oh, and I used a mix of cherry and apple wood to keep the smoke flavor light.

Also, I don't remember who it was here that turned me on to Mike's Magic Dust, but thanks again. That's been the greatest find ever.

On April 8, 2017 at 19:19, highfigh said...
Since you were looking, did you see anything about using grass, hay or straw for smoking meats? Why the hell would anyone want to use them for this purpose?

I didn't run into to it this time, but I have seen something on it before and looked into it just briefly. My thoughts were pretty much the same as yours. I don't see it being good flavors. Now, I think something on it that I saw mentioned adding herbs into the smoke and I've thought about trying mixing fresh herbs in with my wood, but haven't tried it.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse