Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Friday April 7, 2017 at 00:33
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Thanks for your post, highfigh.

On April 6, 2017 at 20:36, highfigh said...
As long as a difference in potential exists, the charges will attempt to balance themselves. This isn't the same as neutralizing, which would happen if the opposite poles are connected.

As I read it, this is batteries in a series short circuit.

In AC, this is usually called 'bucking'.

I guess I don't understand bucking.

There's no need to push- the difference in charge will cause electrons to move on their own- they want to be in a balanced state.

No need to push? Electrons "want to be in a balanced state"? That sounds like a judgment of emotions. I'm saying I think there has to be something that causes them to move, and whatever that is, it must be possible for it to be too small to cause them to move.

WRT two batteries in parallel, they'll balance if their condition is the same.

I get this. That's great observations about deep cycle versus high current.

This site has a lot of info- maybe it will have what you're looking for. It would help if we knew the specific application.

http://batteryuniversity.com/

I'll be checking it out. Thanks.

The specific application is understanding the details. You can do A LOT without knowing that diodes have forward voltage drop, but more if you know it. I'm guessing something interesting might come from knowing about this.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse