The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Wednesday April 5, 2017 at 12:46
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 5, 2017 at 11:56, Ernie Gilman said...
What the hell. While I'm at it, ever hear anyone being offered "a kudo"? Well, it can't happen. "Kudos" is not the plural of "kudo" any more than "crisis" is the plural of "crisi."

And when one is a mentor, the person being mentored is not a mentee. "Mentor" was someone's name, not a noun that tells who is menting.

Well, you know how it is when enough people use a word often enough and for a long enough time, it becomes a word. That's how languages evolve. People use 'mentee' often- the fact that you don't think it's a word notwithstanding. Look at how people started saying things like "that is so not fair" and other phrases/sentences with 'so not'- all because of a TV show called 'Friends'.

BTW- 'mentee' IS someone who is being mentored.

[Link: merriam-webster.com]

You lose one kudo, which is explained in this link-

Is kudo a word? [Link: merriam-webster.com]

Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so did cherry and pea.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse