Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Tuesday April 4, 2017 at 12:03
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 4, 2017 at 05:04, buzz said...
Yes, but production scale is very different now, robots are on the assembly line, integrated circuits are ubiquitous, and "offshore manufacturing" referred to a plant across the river. We get a lot more value per dollar now.

You say "but," which is the classic start of a refutation, but then you not only agree but explain why we get so much more for the money. You've gotten all complicated about what's usually expressed as "the price of electronics is always going down."

Highfigh's story reminds me that I once overheard my dad and older brother discuss a deal whereby my dad gave him half the money he needed for some kind of tool or other thing with practical and educational value. A couple of months later my dad looked stunned when I quoted that example and proposed that he could pay half for the Weller soldering gun that I wanted. He agreed and paid half.

As I remember, that soldering gun was $25. A comparable looking model today is $37 at Ace Hardware. Given inflation, the price is way down!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse