Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday March 28, 2017 at 12:59
andrewinboulder
Select Member
August 2003
Gear:

All gear same age- sorry don't have exact model numbers at the moment:
Two rooms with same set up basically.

Samsung TV's couple years old or so - higher end models (with the exception of an 8000 series that is probably 5 years old)
Onkyo Receivers
Key Digital 4x4 matrix switches
Apple TV 3's
Xfinity X1 boxes
Oppo Bluray
All longer HDMI connections to TV's are Ethereal high end cables. The short 1 to 2 meter interconnects are Binary locking HDMI cables.

Both system run sources to matrix, then out of matrix to receiver, then on to the TV's.

Both areas serve two samsung TV's off their respective matrices, and are independent systems.

Both exhibit the same issue after having worked for at least 2 years:

Xfinity and Oppo work fine

The problem:

On both set ups, Apple TV will display when showing the screen saver, but the minute you hit "menu" or anything else to wake them up, the screen goes black - it looks like the TV's still show a signal detected, but it's just a black screen.

This happens with both or only one TV operating.

I believe I had auto update turned on in the Apple TV and Samsung (bad idea). I had the customer check on TV for Samsung update and it shows no update available. I haven't been there yet to check it out, but hoping MAYBE someone else has seen this issue???

Seems like it would have to be a rouge software update. The questions is how the hell to fix it quickly.

I've already done the whole reboot thing, including TV's.

Video through the matrices are going to the lowest common denominator - basic dumb switches.

Video processing should be turned off in the Onkyos - I hope.

What causes this on the HDMI end of things?

Hosting Services by ipHouse