The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Friday March 17, 2017 at 08:07
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
On March 15, 2017 at 13:16, Ernie Gilman said...
Well, yeah, of course not. I was looking for general information. I didn't expect anyone to have looked at everything! Thanks for the input.

Taking that as the starting position, and it's logical to think it is,
...and when the failed HDD gets replaced, does the information on the still-good HDD get lost because somewhere there is, or was, a record of what's recorded on which drive?

It depends.
I've seen it go both ways.
I have seen where searching for events comes up with a list, however, when event is selected for playback no video is shown and error pops up.

I usually tell clients not to count on any data to be salvageable and initialize all hard drives.
If client balks at the idea of losing data, I quickly offer proper backup solutions with their associated costs and in ALL cases all of the sudden that data is no longer as critical as it was 60 seconds ago :-)

Hard drives just don't fail that often, so when it does happen, statistically speaking, there is low chance that something of worth happened during that period.
What I find more often is that hard drive died 6 months ago and no one bothered to investigate the flashing error on the screen or the beeping on the DVR. I get called because something did happen and now they wonder if there is any way to recover the recording. Again, mentioning the cost of data recovery by certified companies usually settles the matter.

Hosting Services by ipHouse